A skier was killed in an avalanche Saturday, December 11, in Silver Basin, a closed area of Crystal Mountain, Washington, that ski patrol had not mitigated for avalanche hazard. Six skiers from the same party were caught in the slide. Four skiers were partially or fully buried, three of whom were successfully recovered. The fourth skier was found unconscious and did not respond to resuscitation efforts. All skiers involved were carrying avalanche equipment and several had taken a recent avalanche course.
- Forest Service Avalanche Center would not exist without donations
- Above average Sierra snowpack prompts avalanche awareness
- Inbounds Avalanche – Search Finds Nobody
- New Essential Reading for Winter Recreation: Fatal Avalanches in the US, 2021-2022
- A Provo Canyon Avalanche creates ‘dangerous conditions’