Sidecountry vs. backcountry. In both areas accidents can happen. Skiing and snowboarding, even at a ski resort, is never without risk. Understanding avalanche safety, having the proper gear, and knowing how to use it matter. If recent avalanches have taught us anything it’s that not all areas are safe. There are no universal truths to avalanches. Even areas that traditionally are safe can quickly become deadly in the right conditions.
- Forest Service Avalanche Center would not exist without donations
- Above average Sierra snowpack prompts avalanche awareness
- Inbounds Avalanche – Search Finds Nobody
- New Essential Reading for Winter Recreation: Fatal Avalanches in the US, 2021-2022
- A Provo Canyon Avalanche creates ‘dangerous conditions’